January 19, 2021 03:09PM
David Cone isn’t a doctor. He’s pitched a perfect game, he’s won five World Series titles and he’s one of the sports premier TV analysts. But he’s never had to ask for a scalpel in an operating room.

No matter. Cone, a 17-year big leaguer, knows what he’s talking about when it comes to pitching injuries. And he’s not too spooked when it comes to the recent history of Corey Kluber, with whom the Yankees agreed to a one-year deal that’s expected to be worth about $11 million.

“I think it’s quite the opposite, actually,” Cone said while on the YES Network’s “Yankees Hot Stove” on Monday night.

“If I were Corey Kluber’s agent, I would sell it this way: He didn’t really have a rotator cuff injury,” Cone said. “He had a teres major injury, which is below the lat muscle, below the bigger muscle. The trend with those types of injuries is that it takes a little longer to heal but once it heals, those guys come back full strength. There’s a good track record as far as that goes. You’re still talking about a power pitcher that’s had a couple of freak injuries, too. Hit by a line drive. The last two years, it’s been a combination of both. If you’re looking at the injuries, it’s much better to have those types of injuries than say a labrum injury or to have rotator cuff surgery. So, those are a little tougher to come back from.”

[www.nj.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Yankees bringing Corey Kluber to Bronx!!

Hitman23501January 15, 2021 08:45PM

David Cone gives optimistic view on Yankees’ Corey Kluber’s injury history

Hitman23193January 19, 2021 03:09PM

Re: David Cone gives optimistic view on Yankees’ Corey Kluber’s injury history

toga170January 19, 2021 04:25PM

Re: David Cone gives optimistic view on Yankees’ Corey Kluber’s injury history

Hitman23184January 19, 2021 10:52PM