Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The race to replace John Sterling on Yankees radio is wide open

April 18, 2024 11:04AM
There appear to be at least four candidates to become John Sterling’s permanent replacement as the Yankees’ radio play-by-play voice.

In addition to Justin Shackil and Emmanuel Berbari, who have already been filling in when Sterling has missed games, The Athletic mentions Ryan Ruocco and Brendan Burke as possibilities to take the WFAN mic from the 85-year-old Sterling, who on Monday retired after 36 seasons and will be honored at Yankee Stadium on Saturday.

Burke, the television voice of the Islanders who also calls NHL games for TNT and has called Big Ten football for NBC, has filled in for Sterling before.

Ruocco, who is Yankees TV voice Michael Kay’s backup on YES Network, may have a tough time taking the job, as The Athletic notes he already is ESPN’s No. 2 NBA play-by-player behind Mike Breen and is the network’s top play-by-player for WNBA and women’s college basketball games; he also contributes to YES Network’s Nets coverage.

Shackil, who has also done work for YES Network, is in Toronto calling the current Yankees series alongside longtime analyst Suzyn Waldman.

He joined WFAN last year after Sweeny Murti left his role as the station’s Yankees reporter and fill-in play-by-play voice.

Berbari has worked as the pre-and-postgame host for Yankees radio broadcasts and called a series with Shackil last year when Sterling and Waldman were both off.

“I just don’t want to do any more work,” Sterling told Evan Roberts and Tiki Barber on WFAN on Monday after the Yankees announced his retirement. “I’ve worked for 64 years and in July I’ll be 86, so let’s face it, my time has come.”

[nypost.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The race to replace John Sterling on Yankees radio is wide open

Hitman23128April 18, 2024 11:04AM

Re: The race to replace John Sterling on Yankees radio is wide open

toga58April 18, 2024 11:52AM

Hitman2360April 18, 2024 12:20PM

toga61April 18, 2024 03:10PM

Hitman2359April 18, 2024 05:12PM