Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Meet the MIT physicist Yankees brought in to fix analytics disconnect

February 29, 2024 03:21PM
Aaron Leanhardt, the club’s new major league analyst, is what the Yankees hope is the solution to a problem that became clear by the end of last season when Judge said they needed to do a better job of funneling analytical data to players in the right format.

Time will tell whether Leanhardt can make his impact felt in a way that benefits the Yankees in the win column as they come off a brutal 82-80 season. But he has made a strong early impression on key organizational figures.

“I’m excited about him,” Judge told The Post this week. “He’s in a good role, being that analyst that’s the barrier between us and the analytics. What I’ve seen so far, he does a good job funneling the information down. I think the guys are going to love him.”

Before Hal Steinbrenner revealed last week that the Yankees had promoted Leanhardt — better known in the clubhouse as “Lenny,” who has been with the organization since 2018 — into his new role, a Google search would have mostly shown his work outside of baseball.

There was the NASA-funded research study at MIT in which scientists, including Leanhardt (then a grad student on the way to a Ph.D), cooled a sodium gas to the lowest temperature ever recorded.

[nypost.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A New Analytic Guy

toga203February 25, 2024 03:39PM

New Yankees Analyst Aaron Leanhardt Bridges Gap Between Front Office and Players

Hitman23111February 25, 2024 04:02PM

Meet the MIT physicist Yankees brought in to fix analytics disconnect

Hitman23134February 29, 2024 03:21PM