October 10, 2020 08:47AM
I'm still not quite ready to discuss this rationally but will give it a try. Tuesday's game was a huge turning point = messing with two starters in a botched saber screwup. Only pitching Deivi for one inning was stupid - the kid was not pitching under stress only allowing 1 run. He was settled in for possibly 4 or 5 more innings - at least one time through the lineup. Happ is another problem - this isn't the first time he has voiced displeasure with the way he was used. To his credit he told Boone & Matt Blake he was not comfortable coming in relief unlike other team players who will do whatever the team needs. I wondered if that psyche is at least partially why he bombed.
The bull pen was not the relible entity we have come to expect. Ottavino has not come close to dependable. Tommy Kahnle is definitely missed in key situations and sadly will be a big part of 2021 recovering from TJ.
For whatever reason - a bad pitch call or the pitcher didn't hit his spot - Brousseau got his revenge for that 100 mph over his head on September 1st adjusting his swing to take Chapman deep for the game winner. These are just a few facts - no excuses accepted. For me that ended my 2020 baseball season - it will be impossible not the follow results in the NLCS & ALCS followed by the WS.
On the other side the Peskies are better equipped playing 7 games in a row to beat the cheaters (wonder if they found a new to get to the AlCS wouldn't put anyting past them) - the Yankees pitching is not set up and the pen not deep enough for that kind of setup.

Garret Cole gave it his best - he can't pitch every game - he left the game giving his team a chance to win - so though the team came up short, the blame/fault is not his. We will have a lot of possiblities & thoughts for 2021 to discuss in the coming weeks. The first thing I would like to see - Hall Steinbrenner sit down with Cash - not to berate one of the best GM's but to adjust the computer dependency. It needs to be tempered by allowing the managers the chance to do their job on the field. Aaron or any other manager is in the dugout - the human factor, is important. - the gut feeling knowing your players. Glad anaylitics were not around in the days of Mick, & Yogi even Paul O'Neill & Charlie Hayes. Time to reassess how those computer generated stats are used - not as written in stone but as a tool.

Maybe next week I will start working on 2021 things for the Yankees. Have to put the bitter taste to rest first.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Winner Take All Game 5

toga560October 09, 2020 06:00PM

Re: Winner Take All Game 5

Giambino323October 09, 2020 07:33PM

PRYanksFan308October 09, 2020 09:45PM

unclekevin330October 09, 2020 10:46PM

PRYanksFan339October 10, 2020 02:43AM