Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stick

June 02, 2017 03:53PM
Quick - word association. What comes to mind when I say the word "Stick"? Not a small branch; nope not a baseball bat - Gene "Stick" Michael. Maybe he is one of the most underrated Yankees of all time. Stick arrived in the Bronx for the season of 1968 - a special place in my heart because it was Mickey's final year. A shortstop by trade Gene replaced another heart throb in '69 - Tom Tresh. Not a super star 15 career home runs nor perennial all-star - Stick would go on to be versatile utility Yankee - no not as a player but as member of the greatest organization in sports.
We vote for the All Star teams these days; reporters vote for enshrinement in the HOF. The highest honor for a Yankee is become a member of Monument Park - retired numbers, a plaque, and the highest award a stone monument. Babe, The Iron Horse, Miller Huggins, The Mike and Joltin' Hoe have received this honor. IMHO Gene is deserving of a blue honoree" jacket. Think about it - a player who started in 1968 almost 50 years ago and he's still in the organization. When his playing days ended, Stick began donning many hats wherever his skills & knowledge were needed. He has been a terrific 3rd base coach, manager, general manager, scout, director of scouting - Many of you may not have witnessed Gene's run or genius - but are you aware he along with Bob Watson were architects of the dynastic teams of the 90's. Gene has been a contributor, a baseball guru while remaining mild-mannered and soft spoken. I'm not one to keep my thoughts silent - and there are some in MP that really don't belong there (but that's a subject for another post). We've been watching players come via trades or FA for a few years and contributed to championships - Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter even Tino & Paul - who have their numbers retired or a plaque. Managers with either one or both; owner George Steinbrenner; the Voice of the Yankee Stadium, Bob Sheppard - It seems that retiring numbers or placing a plaque on the wall is a way to hold a special day to increase attendance in recent years. Well how about honoring someone who has worn many hats in service to the organization from player to front office? Come on Hal, Hank, Jennifer - Gene Michael deserves to be recognized for his work and not posthumously - do it now while he can enjoy it.
Okay another rant comes to an end winking smiley
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Stick

toga1157June 02, 2017 03:53PM

Re: Stick

Hitman23595June 03, 2017 12:49AM

Re: Stick

toga577June 03, 2017 04:20PM