Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anthony Volpe in ‘surreal’ position with Yankees mulling major shortstop move

December 29, 2021 08:37PM
Top Yankees prospect Anthony Volpe is looking forward to a winning future in New York.

During an appearance Tuesday on David Cone’s “Toeing the Slab” podcast, Volpe — a star shortstop whom the Yankees drafted 30th overall in 2019 — was asked about the debate surrounding whether the team should sign a superstar free-agent shortstop, such as Carlos Correa, or consider a stopgap signing to fill the spot until Volpe is ready for the majors.

The 20-year-old Volpe said it is “surreal” being in this position, considering he grew up a fan of the team.

“I know I probably sound like a broken record, but at the end of the day, whether it happens this year, next year, whatever, I’d just really like to stay in the present and just work every day to try and become that player that one day is that player wins multiple World Series with the Yankees,” Volpe said.

“I think that’s the long-term goal and I have a lot of short-term goals that probably… that I can control. That’s kind of all I’m really focused about and wherever the chips fall, they fall.”

Volpe had a standout year in 2021, beginning with the Low-A Tampa Tarpons in May before moving up to the High-A Hudson Valley Renegades in July. He had an average of .294 (121 hits for 412 at-bats), with 27 home runs, 113 runs scored, and 86 RBIs between the two teams.

[nypost.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Anthony Volpe in ‘surreal’ position with Yankees mulling major shortstop move

Hitman23336December 29, 2021 08:37PM